Chicken beetroot slaw is what happens to leftover roast chicken, and the bones get made into stock for soup. Perfect for a simple light summer dinner. We hope you like it as much as our family does.
chicken beetroot slaw
- 300g cold roast chicken cut into pieces
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled cut into fine strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled, julienned
- 1½ cups shredded red or green cabbage
- 3 kale leaves, stalk removed shredded
- 1 pink lady apple, cored and cut into slices
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup walnuts (optional)
- a few parsley leaves.
chicken beetroot slaw method
In a large bowl, mix all the beetroot slaw ingredients.
In a smaller bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients and season to taste. Stir the dressing through the slaw. Check the seasoning again.
Pile the slaw onto a large serving dish and top with the chicken walnuts and a few parsley leaves. Serve immediately or refrigerate to serve later.
Serves 4, Preparation time 20 minutes.