Summer is here, and that’s the time for simple and tasty family meals. Our chicken pea pesto pasta is simple to make, a little bit indulgent and will be a hit with the whole family.
chicken pea pesto pasta
- 2 Ritchies chicken breast fillets skin off, cut into 1cm strips lengthways
- 350g penne pasta or your favorite pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons good quality basil pesto
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup sugar snap or snow peas, cut in half
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup torn basil leaves (optional)
- shaved Parmesan (optional)
chicken pea pesto pasta method
Cook the pasta following the pack instructions for al dente. Drain and reserve a little of the pasta cooking water. In a separate pan, on a high heat, drop the peas into boiling water and allow the water to come back to the boil. Add the snow peas and drain as soon as the snow peas turn bright green. In the same pan the pasta was cooked in, on a high heat, add the olive oil and chicken strips. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and just changing colour. Turn the heat down to low, then add the garlic and heat until the garlic smells fragrant. Add the cooked pasta, peas, and pesto. Stir until the pasta is coated in pesto, adding a little of the pasta cooking water if you need to make the pesto sauce a little ‘looser’. Season to taste and just before serving toss through a few extra basil leaves and top with shavings of Parmesan. Divide into 4 pasta bowls.
Serves: 4. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 12 minutes (excluding pasta cooking time).