Chipotle pepper chicken
This Chipotle Pepper Chicken dish is packed full of flavour and packs a little spice & warmth thanks to the Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- 1kg (8) Ritchies chicken thighs fillets skin off, trimmed
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum, deseeded, cut in 1cm wide strips
- 50g chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, available in the Mexican section of your Ritchies IGA supermarket.
- 1 cup low salt chicken stock
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lime wedges (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- warmed soft tacos (optional)
Preheat oven to 180oC
- Remove the chipotle peppers from the adobo sauce and dice finely. Return to the sauce.
- In a large ovenproof sauté or frying pan with a lid, add the onion and fry on a medium low heat till soft and lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and capsicum strips and cook for about a minute until the garlic smells fragrant.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stock. Add the herbs and diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Stir well. Add more peppers if you like spicy food.
- Roll the thigh fillets. Place them smooth side up in the sauce.
- Put the lid on the pan and place in the preheated oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season to taste.
- Remove the lid and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes to lightly brown the chicken thighs.
- Serve hot, scattered with fresh coriander leaves, lime wedges, warmed tacos and maybe a salad with avocado and tomatoes.
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Locate your nearest Ritchies Supermarket at www.ritchies.com.au
Cooking time: 50 minutes.