These Mediterranean lamb back strap wraps are simply delicious with robust flavours and fresh simple ingredients prepared simply, you don’t have to fly all the way to Europe to experience the flavours synonymous with Mediterranean cooking!
Mediterranean lamb back strap wrap
- 2 lamb back straps
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pita bread wraps, warmed
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- a tub tzatziki
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut in slices
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ice burg or cos lettuce, shredded
- mint leaves optional
Using a non reactive bowl mix the olive oil, garlic, oregano and a generous amount of sea salt and pepper. Add the lamb back straps and roll them thoroughly in the herb and garlic mix (at this stage you can cover the lamb with cling film and refrigerate for up to 12 hours or until you need it). Using a heavy based frying pan or a BBQ flat plate on a high heat, cook the lamb back straps for about 5 minutes on 1 side then turn and cook for a further 3 minutes for medium rare or longer if you prefer your lamb better done. Rest the meat covered with foil for 10 minutes. Utilise this time to warm the pita bread. Spread each pita with tzatziki, add a scatter of shredded lettuce, a few slices of tomato and onion. Slice the back straps diagonally and place half a sliced lamb back strap on top of the salad on each pita. Wrap and serve immediately. Makes 4 pita wraps.