There’s nothing as comforting as chicken soup on a chilly winter night and if you like flavour, this spicy Mexican style chicken soup is just what you need. It’s a Mexican style take of the traditional favourite, full of rich spicy flavours. In our opinion it’s the best soup we’ve posted this year, but you tell us, and if you’re after more hearty soups, check out these recipes. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give a rich flavor and soft warm spicy heat to this dish rather than a strong heat.
spicy Mexican style chicken soup
- 4 Ritchies chicken thigh fillets, skin off, trimmed and finely diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red capsicum, deseeded and finely diced
- 4 cups low salt chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce diced finely (available in a can in the Mexican section of your Ritchies IGA supermarket) or as a substitute, 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika & 1 fresh jalapeño chilli, finely diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream
- fresh coriander leaves (optional)
spicy Mexican style chicken soup method
In a large heavy bottomed pan on a medium low heat, add the olive oil and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5-6 minutes until soft and just starting to turn golden. Add the garlic, diced carrot and celery and cook for another minute until the garlic smells fragrant. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, capsicum, chipotle in adobo, cumin seeds, stock and water, then turn the heat up to medium high. Simmer until the vegetables start to soften, (about 15 minutes) add the finely diced chicken, red kidney beans and corn kernels. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is totally cooked through and the flavours are well combined.
Serve steaming hot, topped with a small dollop of sour cream and a few fresh coriander leaves. Plain corn chips with a little melted cheese are delicious served with this soup.
Serves: 6. Preparation time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 40 minutes.
ALL the ingredients for any recipe on the Love Food website is available at your local Ritchies supermarket. Find your local VIC, NSW or QLD store.