‘Umami’, that’s the rich taste you get from browned meat mushrooms and miso. The deep umami flavors in this easy steak miso broccoli stir-fry are balanced by bright green broccoli, and you’ll have it on the table in under 30 minutes.
steak miso broccoli stir-fry
- 500g Ritchies rump steak, trimmed and cut into 1cm strips
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into floretes
- 4 spring onions, sliced into 3 cm batons
- 8 mushrooms sliced (Use any mushrooms you like, shiitake, work well)
- 300g whole wheat noodles or pasta
- 1 tablespoon coconut or peanut oil
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon light miso paste, we used Spiral organic Mugi miso
- ½ teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- ½ cup hot water
steak miso broccoli stir-fry method
Just before you cook the main dish cook the noodles following the pack instructions.
Heat a large frying pan or wok on a very hot heat, add the oil and wait till its smoking hot before adding the steak strips. Fry moving the meat fast around the pan with a wok stirrer until cooked to your liking (only 1-2 minutes for medium rare) remove from the pan.
Working fast and stirring rapidly, add the mushrooms and cook until just golden, stir in the garlic and ginger, cook for a few seconds.
Stir in the broccoli and spring onions, move rapidly around the pan to pick up all the flavours. Pour the water on to the miso paste and stir until smooth. Add to the wok along with five spice powder and soy sauce to taste. Cook until the broccoli is just tender. Stir in the beef, cooked noodles, and the sesame oil.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 15 minutes depending on the noodles.