beef stroganoff with red capsicums
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 500g Ritchies beef stir fry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 heaped tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and finely sliced
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low salt beef stock
- 200ml pot sour cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g (uncooked weight) of your favourite pasta cooked following the manufacturers instructions
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
beef stroganoff with red capsicums method
Place the beef in a freezer bag with the flour, a teaspoon of salt and a good couple of grinds of black pepper. Seal the bag and toss the beef to coat in the seasoned flour.
In a large sauté or frying pan on a medium high heat add the oil and the beef. Fry quickly for about 2 minutes until seared on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium low, add the butter and onion, use a wooden spoon to scrape off any flavour filled browned bits left over from the meat and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the capsicum, stirring occasionally for another 3-5 minutes until the onions are soft and starting to turn lightly golden and the capsicums have softened.
Add the garlic, paprika and mushrooms and cook for about 1 minute, until they smell wonderful. Add the wine, stock, mustard and beef, stir to combine. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Check the seasoning an just before serving, stir in the sour cream.
Serve with your favourite pasta or rice. Top with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and a little extra paprika for colour.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minute. Cooking time 30 minutes.