This chicken apricot tagine could well be your new family favourite, it’s perfect all year round as well as entertaining too. The wonder aroma of the spices will also fill the house and can be served with hot steaming rice or couscous.
Chicken apricot tagine
- 6 chicken thigh fillets cut in 4 pieces
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves crushed
- 1 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoons each of ground coriander, turmeric and cumin
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup dried apricots cut in half
- the fine peel of ½ a fresh lemon or 1 preserved lemon finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup packed coriander leaf chopped
- ¼ cup toasted blanched almonds (optional)
Chicken apricot tagine method
In a large sauté pan or frying pan on a medium high heat add the olive oil and chicken and fry till lightly browned. Remove the chicken from the pan.
Turn down the heat to medium low and cook the onion until its soft and just changing colour. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute until fragrant. Add the spices and ginger and cook stirring all the time for another minute. Turn the heat up to medium, return the chicken to the pan along with the tomatoes, apricots, water and lemon. Cook without the lid for about 35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender and the sauce had thickened. Tip: If its not reduced enough, take the chicken out of the pan and simmer the sauce on a medium high heat till it thickens. Then return the meat to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve, steaming hot, sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves and toasted almonds with either rice or couscous.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 50 minutes