Short of time? This one pot wonder, chicken cherry tomato tray bake, takes a few minutes to put together. Cooks in just half an hour, and has big Mediterranean flavours that will set your taste buds tingling.
chicken cherry tomato tray bake
- 4 medium Ritchies chicken breasts, skin on
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut in small wedges
- 8 medium garlic cloves, cut in half length ways with the skin left on
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano finely chopped or 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 punnet of mixed or heirloom cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn
chicken cherry tomato tray bake method
Preheat oven to 200oC
In an oven proof dish or 3-4 cm deep oven tray that just fits the chicken breasts, drizzle the base with a little olive oil. Cover the base with the red onion wedges, top with the halved cloves of garlic. Arrange the chicken breasts, skin upwards on top of the onions and garlic. Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Scatter the whole dish and especially the chicken skin with the fresh or dried oregano. Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked through, the skin is slightly golden and the onion is soft and just starting to caramelize. Remove from the oven, throw in the cherry tomatoes and return to the oven for another 6-8 minutes.
The dish is ready when the chicken is cooked through but still moist and the tomatoes have just started to soften and collapse.
Serve decorated with torn basil leaves if you’re using them and crusty white sourdough bread to mop up the delicious pan juices.
Serves 4. Preparation time 10 minutes. Cooking time 30 minutes