These chilli cheese dogs are just what you need at your next barbecue. They’re great when friends come over or your watching your favourite sport on the big screen and they do go really well with your favourite ale. They’re really simple to make, and very spicy. Just leave the chilli out for the kids and you’ve an all round winner anytime.
chilli cheese dogs
- 12 Ritchies pork chipolatas
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and cut in thick slices
- 1 large onion, cut in narrow wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 long red chilli, cut in slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 thin slices of Jarlsburg cheese
- 4 hotdog buns or 1 long white baguette
- tomato sauce or American mustard
chilli cheese dogs method
Preheat oven to 200oC 0r covered BBQ to medium high.
In a medium sized ovenproof dish, scatter the capsicum slices, onion wedges, chilli slices, garlic slices, then top with the chipolatas and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Bake in the oven, turning the chipolatas occasionally, for about 35 minutes, or until the sausages are browned, cooked through and the vegetables are soft and caramelised. Towards the end of the cooking time, warm the hot dog buns or bread in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Cut the buns down the middle. Place two cheese slices in each one. Pile in the roast vegetables, sausages and your favourite sauce. Serve with plenty of napkins and a cold lager.
Makes 4. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 35 minutes.