Aloha! If melt in the mouth beef ribs, with a sticky tangy sauce sounds like you, you really need to try our Hawaiian style beef short ribs recipe, they are just amazing! Perfect for long slow cooking.
Hawaiian style beef short ribs
- 2kg Ritchies beef short/spare ribs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1½ cups fresh or canned pineapple pieces (optional)
- 2 spring onions, chopped in thin strips
Hawaiian style beef short ribs method
Preheat oven to 170oC.
In a large deep frying pan or sauté pan with a lid, on a medium high heat, add the oil and brown the ribs all over.
Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, pineapple juice, sugar, mustard, soy and malt vinegar.
Cover with a tight fitting lid cook in the oven, basting occasionally for about 2 hours and 45 minutes until the meat is meltingly tender. If the sauce gets a little dry during cooking, add a little more pineapple juice or water. Add the pineapple pieces to the pan, (if using them) cook in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. If the sauce isn’t sticky and thickened slightly, remove the pineapple and meat from the pan, then simmer with the lid off until the sauce is reduced.
Scatter with finely chopped spring onion. Serve with steamed rice and salad.
Serve 4 -6. Preparation time: 20 Minutes. Cooking time: 3 hours 15 minutes.