Light and nutritious, this easy and tasty lamb pesto with lemon zucchini salad has all the good stuff, and can be on your plate in 25 minutes.
lamb pesto with lemon zucchini salad
- 8 Ritchies trim lamb leg steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove crushed
- seasalt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 small zucchini
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- ½ punnet cherry or heirloom tomatoes cut in half (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice (or to taste) and finely grated zest
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons pepititas (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling.
- 4 lemon wedges
lamb pesto with lemon zucchini salad method
Stir a crushed garlic clove into 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Brush both sides of the trim lamb steaks with the garlic flavored oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside for a few minutes while you make the salad.
Cut each zucchini in half length wise and use a vegetable peeler or a sharp paring knife to cut each half into long thin ribbons. Transfer to a large bowl and add the crushed garlic, lemon zest, mint and parsley leaves and tomatoes (if using them) add lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter and scatter with pepitatas.
Heat a barbeque or a griddle pan to medium high. Cook the Lamb turning once for 2-3 minutes each side for medium or longer if you like it better done. Remove the meat from the heat and cover with foil for a few minutes to allow it to rest. Place the pesto in a small bowl cover and microwave for about 20 seconds to warm it slightly.
Plate up the lamb and place a spoon of pesto on each lamb steak, serve with a wedge of lemon and the salad.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 6-10 minutes