Aussie lamb is always brilliant on the BBQ all year round. This lamb steak with a melon mint chilli salsa is fresh, light and fast to prepare. Perfect for a midweek dinner in a flash, or for a lingering weekend lunch.
lamb steak with melon mint chilli salsa
- 8 Ritchies trim lamb leg steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups finely diced melon flesh (we used a mixture of rock melon and honeydew)
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oleck (or other plain chilli sauce)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
lamb steak with melon mint chilli salsa method
Place the lamb steaks on a large plate or nonreactive tray. In a small bowl mix together the olive oil and crushed garlic. Brush the flavoured oil generously on both sides of the lamb and season both sides with salt and pepper.
Preheat a barbecue to medium high, or large griddle or frying pan to medium hot. Add the lamb steaks cook for 3-4 minutes on both sides, depending on the size of the steaks, turning at least once, until cooked to your preference. Remove from the cooking surface, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for about 6 minutes.
While the meat rests, in a medium bowl, mix together the finely diced melon, mint, finely diced fresh chilli and chilli sauce. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve the lamb with a mixed salad or steamed vegetables.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 8 minutes