The flavour combination in this lemon and oregano butterfly chicken with jewelled couscous salad is simply delicious. And because Ritchies has butterflied the chicken already, it’s a fuss-free, easy and quick “anytime” meal to make.
lemon and oregano butterfly chicken with jewelled cous cous salad
- 1 Ritchies Famous Lines Lemon and Oregano Butterfly Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 truss cherry tomatoes on the branch
- 2 bamboo skewers, soaked
for the cous cous salad
- 2 cups cooked cous cous
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup packed parsley leaves
- ½ cup packed mint leaves, torn
- 50g soaked currants
- seeds from 1 pomegranate (optional)
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200°C. or your BBQ to medium high. Take the chicken out of the pack, tuck back it’s wings and use the 2 soaked bamboo skewers to skewer the chicken flat and hold it’s legs in place. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan or sauté pan. Seal the chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes on both sides until it starts to colour. Once the bird is sealed, place it breast side up in the pan. Transfer to either the oven or BBQ (hood down) and cook for a further 40-45 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices until the chicken is totally cooked through. Add the tomatoes to the pan for the final 10 minutes of cooking.
for the salad
While the chicken is cooking, toss all ingredients for the salad including the dressing in a large bowl. Mix well and season to taste. Finish the salad with a scatter of toasted almonds, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves. Serve the chicken hot, with tomatoes and the salad. Serves 4.