With a creamy sweet-spicy crust this low carb sweet potato cottage pie is a scrumptious twist on a dish that was traditionally made from leftovers.
low carb sweet potato cottage pie
- 4 cups bolognese sauce (recipe)
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- ⅔ cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2kg), peeled and roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g butter (optional)
- 50g grated Cheddar (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Steam the sweet potato for 15- 20 minutes or until its tender, allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl and mash thoroughly with butter (or olive oil if your watching you cholesterol intake or want to be dairy free). Season with salt and pepper then set aside. In a large saucepan on a low heat add the bolognese sauce, carrot, zucchini, peas, water, tomato and Worcester sauces, combine well. Bring to a gentle simmer until the vegetables are tender then season to taste. Remove from the heat and transfer to a deep ovenproof dish (or several small dishes). Top with the mashed sweet potato and finish with grated Cheddar (leave the cheese off for diary free) and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pies are steaming hot and the cheese is golden brown on top. Serve straight away. Serves 6.